The Blue Venture Funds (BVF), a unique collaboration among Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) companies, the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) and Sandbox, is owned, governed and capitalized by participating Blue Plans and affiliates. The Funds invest in venture and growth opportunities within healthcare technology, healthcare services and clinical sciences.
Sandbox is a separate, independent firm that provides a full range of investment management services to BVF.
The Blue Venture Fund is focused on innovating in the healthcare industry. The Healthcare industry is experiencing unprecedented change with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act; expansion of retail healthcare and rise of consumerism; new provider payment models; and rapid change in medical technology and the delivery of care.
The Blue Venture Fund provides a unique value proposition to emerging companies and health plans looking to innovate within a dynamic marketplace.
- The Fund makes equity investments in companies that align with the strategies of its BCBS Plan investors. The Funds are stage-agnostic and typical investments range from $1M to $20M.
- The Fund partners with market-leading CEOs to provide strategic guidance, partnership introductions, strategic sales support, and Board oversight.
- The Fund team has well-established programs for introducing portfolio companies to Blue Plans to drive significant revenue, distribution, and partnership opportunities.
- Plans have access to innovative companies that can lead to business development and strategy insights, vendor agreements, or M&A opportunities.
- The unrivaled market position of The Blues® and unparalleled recognition of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brands attracts best-in-class emerging companies.
In line with the Blue Venture Fund’s focus on long-term strategic partnerships, we emphasize relationship building and focus on helping entrepreneurs. We respect entrepreneurs and recognize how hard it is to build a business – especially in healthcare.